More resistance to External Wall Insulation!

A forum for discussion of domestic insulation - cavity wall, external / internal wall insulation, loft insulation etc...
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
PeterSimpson
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

More resistance to External Wall Insulation!

Post by PeterSimpson » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:15 pm

A few months ago I was asking if anyone had good examples of external wall insulation projects that had overcome their Planning Department's objections upon the grounds of "appearance". "Thank you", to those that responded and provided images that have been used to demonstrate the improvemnts that can be made using these measures.
However, a new problem has surfaced from another of the authority's departments. Our Highways Department is now putting forward an objection to external wall insulation being applied to any house wall that abuts onto the footpath/highway on the grounds that it would be "land grabbing". They are talking about the need for an "Oversail Licence" to be issued : "As stated in Section 177 of the Highways Act 1980 no person is permitted to construct or extend a building or structure over the Highway without a license granted by the Highway Authority ".
Has any other authority created any similar objections to, what will amount to, approx 75mm of overhang from treated buildings? They are also talking about the need for highway closures for the placement of scaffolding and the fixing of the insulation.
I would be interested to know if these problems have beset any other EWI projects as we may have to escalate the matter to far higher authorities to get a decision if we are going to be able to improve the lot of our poorer quality housing stock.

ClareRedfern
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: More resistance to External Wall Insulation!

Post by ClareRedfern » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:17 am

Peter

I'm having the same issue, I was wondering if you found a resolution? :(

Clare
Stockport MBC

David Miles

Post by David Miles » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:53 am

In Swindon we have been made aware of several homes having planning permission for EWI refused on similar grounds where the properties front onto the footpath (so no front garden at all). These are not installations we have been directly involved with so I don't have much more detail than this, but I know we have tried to educate our planning people about this and how it contradicts Government saying local authorities should be at the heart of energy efficiency improvement programmes. To date though we haven't seen any change to this policy though unfortunately.

David
Swindon Borough Council

ClareRedfern

Post by ClareRedfern » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:03 am

(banging head against the desk)

Some properties have been done, our planning are very supportive of the scheme but highways are talking about going to court for a stoppage of highway order, despite the fact that the EWI wont actually extend the property any further than the roof - apparetnly the higway gotes from floor to sky so I tried the what happens when they open their window arguement.

Perhaps I'll go to DECC

David Miles

Post by David Miles » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:22 am

I'm guessing the decisions / views will vary from Authority to Authority unless there is clear guidance from Central Government on this, so maybe going to DECC is the best option!

Return to “Insulation”